Embrun Fire Dept

Fire Chief: Brian Duhamel

For non-urgent matters, leave a message at: 613-443-5528

1182 Route 300
Embrun, ON K0A 1W1

TwitterFacebookGooglemap


Carbon Monoxide Now Required in Homes

Beat the Silent Killer: Prevent CO in Your Home

As of April 15, 2015, you must install carbon monoxide alarms in your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.

You must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home. For added protection, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every story of the home according to manufacturer’s instructions. Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbecues, stoves and vehicles.

Homeowners and owners of residential buildings that contain no more than six suites must be in compliance with the law as of April 15, 2015. Owners of residential buildings with more than six suites have until October 15, 2015 to comply.

Failure to comply with the CO alarm requirements could result in a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals or $100,000 for corporations.

The Ontario Fire Code also requires that in condo and apartment buildings with a service room, CO alarms must be installed in the service room and adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the service room. In condo or apartment buildings that have a garage, CO alarms must be installed adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the garage.

The Ontario Fire Code was amended October 15, 2014 to require CO alarms after the provincial government passed Bill 77 – the Hawkins Gignac Act, in December 2013. Bill 77 is named after OPP Constable Laurie Hawkins, who died, along with her husband and two children, in her Woodstock, ON home from CO poisoning in 2008.

In Ontario, more than 80% of injuries and deaths from CO occur in the home. We want to make sure everyone is safe from CO. Install CO alarms, and do everything you can to prevent CO in your home in the first place.

What is CO?

  • CO is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly.
  • CO is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices such as furnaces, gas or wood fireplaces, hot water heaters, stoves, barbeques, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators and vehicles.

Prevent CO in your home:

  • Ensure all fuel-burning appliances in your home are inspected annually. Visit COSafety.ca to find a registered contractor near you.
  • Check that all outside appliance vents are not blocked.
  • Never use a portable fuel-burning appliance inside (i.e. barbeques, portable heaters and generators).

Know the symptoms of CO:

  • Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death.
  • If your CO alarm sounds, and you or other occupants suffer from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the home immediately. Then call 9-1-1 or your local emergency services number from outside the building.
  • If your CO alarm sounds, and no one is suffering from symptoms of CO poisoning, check to see if the battery needs replacing, or the alarm has reached its "end-of-life" before calling 9-1-1.

Know the sound of your CO alarm:

  • Your CO alarm sounds different than your smoke alarm. Test both alarms monthly and make sure everyone in your home knows the difference between the two alarm sounds.
  • Don’t be confused by the sound of your CO alarm’s low-battery warning. Follow your CO alarm manufacturer’s instructions so you know the difference between the low-battery warning, the “end-of-life” warning, and the alarm alerting you to the presence of CO in your home.

Tips for a CO free house...

For more CO safety tips, visit ontario.ca/firemarshal and COsafety.ca.

Info: Patrick Thibodeau, prevention officer - (613) 880-7894

Electrical Safety

Air conditioners and other heavy appliances should be plugged directly into an outlet. If this is not possible, use a 14 gauge three-wire, grounding-type appliance extension cord.

Check cords for damage. a damaged cord can expose wires and result in a potential shock or fire hazard.

Avoid running cords under rugs, which can damage the cord and cause a fire.

Fact Sheets

For additional information, please contact us by email.

Fire Escape Plan

DOWNLOAD a Home Fire Escape Plan here

Tips regarding your fire escape plan:

  • Make sure everyone knows two ways out of each room, if possible.
  • Due to snow, water and cold, make sure the escape routes are clear and doors and windows open easily.

Better to be prepared than sorry.


Fire Hydrant - Winter

Notice to residents

This is a reminder during heavy snowfalls, property owners are encouraged to assist Municipal snow removal crews by keeping fire hydrants clear of all obstruction within 2.5 meter radius from the outside edge of the hydrant in all times as per the ONTARIO REGULATION 213/07 fire code and the Corporation of the Township of Russell by-Law 2015-39 amended by 2015-122. Please note those found to be piling snow within that 2.5 meter radius will be subject to a fine.

Have Fun with Fire Prevention

Have fun and help your kids learn about fire safety!

Prevent Kitchen Fires!

Wear tight-fitting or rolled up sleeves when cooking. Loose, dangling clothing can catch fire.

Keep utensils, cloths, paper towels, anything that burns a safe distance from the stove.

Watch what you heat – always stay in the kitchen when you are cooking. http://ontario.ca/bh2c

Water and grease don’t mix. See what happens if you put water on a grease fire while cooking: http://goo.gl/22Qhc8

If you have a small grease fire on the stove, slide a lid over the pot and turn off the stove. http://goo.gl/22Qhc8

Safe Storage of Batteries and Other Household Items

The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management Ontario (OFMEM) has recently received several inquiries from fire departments relating to a video that is circulating over the internet.
The video involves a homeowner explaining how the improper storage of 9V batteries resulted in his home catching on fire. The video raises concern that fires can be ignited by a 9V battery if both terminals come into contact with an electrical conductor, in the presence of nearby combustibles.

The OFMEM has previously been made aware of the potential for this scenario based on past media reports on the storage of 9V batteries in “junk drawers”. We believe this to be a legitimate concern as it is possible for a battery to short out and become an ignition source if both terminals come in contact with an electrical conductor (i.e. battery, paper clip, steel wool, etc.).


There is more of a concern with 9V batteries over other household battery types (i.e. AA or AAA types) because both terminals are at the same end and can be more easily bridged with conducting material.


Despite this, Health Canada’s Consumer Product Safety Directorate indicates that there have been no fire incidents reported in Canada involving 9V batteries directly. The OFMEM is also not aware of any such related incidents in Ontario.

Nevertheless, the OFMEM recommends covering the terminals of all batteries with electrical tape when storing or recycling them to prevent the potential occurrence of fire.

Here is additional information provided by battery manufacturers:

Storage and disposal:

• Store batteries in a dry place at room temperature, preferably inside their original packaging.
• Seal the contact point ends of batteries with a piece of electric tape before disposal.
• Do not dispose of batteries with household waste or throw batteries into a fire (they could explode).

Safety Issues, Product Recalls and Warnings

Safety Issues, Product Recalls and Warnings

By clicking on the above title, you will be redirected to the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services where you can find information regarding the followings:

  1. Fire Prevention Week
  2.  Public Fire Safety Information
  3. Safety Issues, Product Recalls and Warnings
  4. Resource Guide for Child Welfare Professionals
  5. Risk Watch
  6. Public Education Resources
  7. Public Education Resources Materials Order Form
  8. Smoke Alarm Information
  9. Subscribe to Public Education Matters e-Notice

The Public Fire Safety Education Unit of the Office of the Fire Marshal (OFM) develops public education and media resources that fire services can use to raise public awareness of fire prevention and safety in their communities.

http://fr.russell.ca/hotel_de_ville/services_durgence/service_dincendie_dembrun/